Community Engagement Internship
Centro Cultural Aztlan – Summer 2019
About Centro Cultural Aztlan:
Centro Cultural Aztlan is a community-based organization with a mission to preserve, develop and promote Chicano/Latino art and culture. The center supports artistic creativity, preserves our local heritage, and makes the arts more widely available to residents of all backgrounds, ages and interests. Centro Cultural Aztlan provides a venue for established and emerging artists, local residents and visitors to participate in cultural activities that include fine-arts exhibits, discussions, literary events and community pride celebrations designed to enrich and inspire.
The Community Engagement Intern will assist Centro Cultural Aztlan’s Arts Program Manager with the planning, preliminary logistics, and community outreach efforts for the center’s Fall 2019 programming, including:
- The 11thAnnual Mole Throwdown – culinary arts event and mole cook-off competition
- Día de los Muertos Celebration paying tribute to this ancient tradition
- ZONARTE holiday arts market – annual festival featuring original art & handmade items
- Virgen de Guadalupe – artists explore the cultural significance of la Virgen de Guadalupe
Through the efforts of the Community Engagement Intern, CCA will be able to reach new artists, increase our marketing and community outreach efforts, and serve a larger, more diverse audience. This position will contribute to the preservation and promotion of San Antonio’s unique Chicano / Latino heritage.
The Community Engagement Intern will work in collaboration with Centro Cultural Aztlan’s Executive Director, Arts Program Manager, community volunteers, and partner organizations.
Responsibilities will include:
– Working with staff to coordinate art submissions for upcoming exhibits & programs.
– Making phone calls to invite area residents to cultural programs.
– Contacting media outlets and distributing press releases about cultural programs.
– Ensuring that listings of cultural events are included in community calendars.
– Assisting the Arts Program Manager with Centro Aztlan’s social media accounts.
Centro Cultural Aztlan is open from 9am to 5pm, Monday thru Friday. Some cultural programs take place on evenings and weekends. The Intern will work 40 hours per week, including evening and weekend hours to accommodate the program schedule. With the approval of the Executive Director, weekday hours may be adjusted to accommodate the Intern’s schedule.
Download The Application
(Microsoft Word Download)