Community Engagement Internship
Centro Cultural Aztlan – Summer 2017
About Centro Cultural Aztlan:
Centro Cultural Aztlan is a community-based organization with a mission to preserve, develop and promote Chicano/Latino art and culture. The center supports artistic creativity, preserves our local heritage, and makes the arts more widely available to residents of all backgrounds, ages and interests. Centro Cultural Aztlan provides a venue for established and emerging artists, local residents and visitors to participate in cultural activities that include fine-arts exhibits, discussions, literary events and community pride celebrations designed to enrich and inspire.
The Community Engagement Intern will be responsible for the preliminary programmatic work of contacting and coordinating artist submissions, and conducting community outreach efforts for a series of cultural events to take place in Fall of 2017, including:
- The 9th Annual Mole Throwdown – culinary arts event and mole cook-off competition
- Dia de los Muertos exhibition – installation of altars and artwork honoring the dead
- ZONARTE holiday arts market – annual festival featuring original art & handmade items
- Virgen de Guadalupe exhibition – celebrating this important Mexican/American icon
The Community Engagement Intern will also provide programmatic support for Deco Mercado Days, a Go Texan! certified farmers & artisans market throughout the summer months. This series of market days brings together sustainable food culture and artist entrepreneurs, contributing to the cultural character and economic development of the historic Deco District.
The Community Engagement Intern will work in collaboration with Centro Cultural Aztlan’s Executive Director, Program Staff, community volunteers and collaborating organizations.
Responsibilities will include:
– Identifying new artist prospects; Coordinating submissions for upcoming exhibits & programs;
– Contacting neighborhood associations and community organizations, distributing program flyers, making phone calls, and tabling at events to invite area residents to cultural programs;
– Contacting media outlets to secure news coverage, participating in any necessary interviews, and ensuring that listings of cultural events are included in community calendars;
– Managing Centro Aztlan’s social media accounts, including promotion of the Deco Market Days events, and other Fall programming on Facebook and Twitter;
– Participating in the coordination and implementation of the Deco Mercado Days program;
– (Optional) Designing original graphics and promotional materials for exhibitions & events; and
– Other duties as assigned.
Centro Cultural Aztlan is open from 9am to 5pm, Monday thru Friday. Some cultural programs take place on evenings and weekends. The Intern will work 40 hours per week, including evening and weekend hours to accommodate the program schedule. With the approval of the Executive Director, weekday hours may be adjusted to accommodate the Intern’s schedule.
Download The Application
(Microsoft Word Download)